Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What a coincidence!

Coincidence is an occasion when two or more similar things happen at the same time, especially in a way that is unlikely and surprising, according to the Cambridge dictionary. 

When I called up my insurance company last week, I was asked by the sales person some of my personal information including my date of birth.  Then after I told her, a large "wow" was uttered, and the person's voice completely brightened (I can imagine the job is not perfectly stimulating for her most of the time).  What is the chance that your sales agent would have exactly the same date of birth in the same year and have the same gender as you? We then had a most friendly chat about my insurance plan, which was nice.

This is not the first time that happened to me.  Long time ago when I worked in a large bank sitting in the trading room, the bank celebrated the birthdays with their employees every month. The employees (who had the birthday that month) would come out and cut the cake together. There it was!  A guy came out and started cutting the cake with me. When he asked me what day I was born, I told him, and then he said so was I, same year and same date! Coincidence which happens unexpectedly can really bring some smile and ah-ha to one's daily life.

No comments: