Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Graduation speeches

Reading the recent commencement address to UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA Class of 2011 by Barbara Desoer, I flashed back to my own graduation ceremony from the Haas School umpteen years ago.  At that time the commencement speech was given by one of the most powerful men in Silicon Valley, Andy Grove, then Intel's CEO.  I do not remember much of his speech but I remember very well how I felt after the speech - intimidated - that I have to be prepared for a dog-eat-dog world, and I had better understand how "only the paranoid survive." Ms. Desoer speech was much less of a warning of the competitive reality but more of a sharing of her values which are very enlightening.

In particular, while I am a bit shocked to hear her advocate "single-tasking" in this world where everyone champions the need of multi-tasking, I am secretly agreeing whole-heartedly what she is saying.  What follows is part of her beautiful speech, and I think the most important to me:

QUOTE
Which brings me to my last word of advice - value. There is a horrible modern phenomenon that I am going to beg all of you not to fall prey to – multi-tasking. It may seem like you’re being more productive, excelling at time management, and impressively dexterous - texting, tweeting, listening to a commencement speech – all at the same time.

But, I’m convinced as a society we’re more anxious and stressed because we’re trying to do too much at once – and in doing so end up doing none of it as well as we could. So, I’m going to champion single-tasking.

Focusing your mind, time and energy – to bring the full value of what you have to offer to the task at hand, to your passions, your family, and your community. To be fully present in all your endeavors. To make courageous choices – deciding in the face of competing demands where you will get and give the most value.

Strive to bring value to those around you, to make a difference for those in need, to give back out of the abundance each of you has been given and in so doing earning rewards more enduring than career accolades.

Because, what really matters in life is connection – not connectivity. Relationships – not quantity of Facebook friends. Investing in people and communities – not investments.

A quote that has always had meaning for me and I keep above my desk is this one by Maya Angelou: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” A great example of value in your relationships.

UNQUOTE

No comments: