Friday, June 24, 2011

Restaurants - markups and bargains

A few weeks ago, I read an article from a local newspaper deconstructing the markups at restaurants.  One can easily guess that drinks and booze are by far the largest profit makers (per $) for the restaurants.  In general, the restaurant does not want the cost of the spirit per each dollar it sells to be more than 22 cents.  The markup is eye-popping:

wine by the glass: up to 5 times
tea: up to 10 times
fountain soda: up to 20 times

Some food also commands outsized markups:

eggs: 5 times
pizza: up to 8 times
some pastas: 6 to 10 times

However what is interesting is that restaurants actually break even or lose money on some items:

organic vegetarian pasta: break even
rib-eye steak: break even or lose
dungeness crab: lose
oysters: (each 1$ oysters, restaurant loses 50 cents)

(Source: SF Chronicle)

Surely, the markups have to pay for the labour and energy costs, as well as liquor license, insurance, etc.  Though I rarely eat steaks/red meat, but if I do, I will definitely eat it at a restaurant - my guilt is lessened as my purse is better taken care of.

No comments: