Friday, April 15, 2011

Meditation on joy

I had Sister Wendy's Book of Meditations for years and today I rediscovered the book when I was cleaning up my place.  Sister Wendy Beckett is a South African-born British art expert and Britain's most famous hermit nun, who came to fame in the 1990's when BBC filmed three celebrated series - Sister Wendy's Grand Tour, Odyssey and Story of Painting.  Her tremendous insights into and knowledge of the paintings, coupled with her outspoken and character of steel, gained her instant favour as an art critic among British and also American households.

When my eyes landed on the page which contained the following painting, Baby in Red Chair c.1810-30, I smiled from my heart.  The unknown American artist painted this baby whom he saw in Pennsylvania.  The baby looked completely contented and showed pure joy, basked in the love of her family with absolute confidence. 

Though life offers its many challenges, we should not forget the feelings when we are protected and loved, and more importantly, we should not forget to love ourselves.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: